Monday, July 29, 2013

Nothing about foster care is easy.

This past weekend Sabrina spent two nights at our home.  This was a REALLY big deal.  She had not been to our home since the social worker put Sabrina in her car and drove away to return Sabrina to her biological mother.  

That, honestly, was one of the worst days of my life.  I stood in the driveway looking at my first daughter thru the car window and cried.  I never would have dreamed that 2 1/2 years later I would have a good enough relationship with her mom that her mom would let her come over for a whole weekend.

But, we have made it. 

Sabrina has been very clingy to her bio mom ever since being returned to her, which is very understandable.  They have tried to get Sabrina to spend the night at a relative's house or a friend's house, but once bedtime comes she always asks/begs to go home.  I am so thrilled to say she had NO issues at our house.  She spend TWO nights and went to sleep without any issue.  We just played all weekend and she fit right in, for the most part.

She wasn't clingy with me, she played with our kids most of the time and acted like she felt comfortable.  When I would tuck the kids in for bed and hug and kiss and tell them I loved them, she lit up when it was her turn.

Seriously, I couldn't believe I got to that again.  I tucked that sweet baby in for 16 months and cuddled her every night.  And, then she was gone.  Being able to do that again was such a gift.

I have more to tell, but I am so happy to report that we had a great time and, sometimes, foster care does have a happy ending, even if it isn't the ending we hoped for.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

So glad it went well. I can only imagine the emotions that were involved. :'(

Kelly said...

Warms my heart. :) Fun times!

Diane said...

Love it! So glad you had a great weekend. Hopefully there will be many more.

Stacy said...

I needed this today. My FS has been here 19 months, all his life, and will go back to BM in about 2 months. Its hard to imagine but I hope we will be able to see him.

Unknown said...

I use to be the manager of group homes of kids placed by child protective services. I watched kids come and go and the biggest joy for us was to see a parent go thru all the classes and counseling session necessary to get their kids back. The Joy and excitement in those lucky ones who got to go home was infectious and always melted my heart. I am so happy the Lord opened a door for you to have a trusted relation ship with your treasures biological mother. What an honor.

FootPrints said...

i remember reading about event on your blog as it unfolded....
you gave that little girl such a great foundation and security!
i am glad that you got to kiss that princess once again.

Lisa said...

Yay for happy endings! I love reading here...its hard to find people to talk to that "get it".

Deb said...

Amen! Happy tears falling.